(picture taken by taste of home)
This fun, delicious recipe is found on http://www.tasteofhome.com/recipes/baby-buggy-cake. Great for baby showers when you don’t know the gender of the little bundle of joy yet:)
Prep Time: 1 hour Bake Time: 20 min
1 cup butter, softened
1-1/4 cup sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla
2 cups all purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1 cup sour cream
1/2 cup butter, softened
1/2 cup shortening
1 teaspoon vanilla
4 cups confectioners sugar
3 tablespoons milk
pink and blue gel food coloring
- Cake: In a bowl, cream the butter and sugar. Add the eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in the vanilla.
- Combine the flour, baking powder and baking soda. Add to the creamed mixture alternately with the sour cream.
- Spread batter into two greased and floured 9-in. round baking pans. Bake at 350° for 20-25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing the cakes from pans to wire racks to cool completely.
- From one cake, cut out and remove one-fourth of the cake in one wedge, creating the buggy shape. Set wedge aside. Place buggy on covered board.
- From the rounded side of the reserved wedge, cut a 3-1/2-in.-long x 1-1/4-in.-wide slight curved shape for the handle. Set aside.
- From the second round cake, cut two 3-3/4-in. circles for the wheels. Position the cake handle and wheels next to the cake buggy on the covered board. Save cake scraps for another use.
- Frosting: In a large bowl, cream the butter, shortening and vanilla. Add the confectioner’s sugar and milk. Mix well. Place 1/3 cup of frosting in each of two bowls. Tint one pink and the other blue.
- Frost the cakes white.
- Cut a hole in the corner of a pastry or plastic bag. Insert the basket weave pastry tip and remaining white frosting. To begin the pattern on buggy’s bottom section, pipe one vertical line, then pipe several short horizontal lines that overlap the vertical line. Repeat this process, making the horizontal lines alternate and connect the vertical lines, until the entire bottom section has a basket weave pattern.
- Cut a hole in another bag. Insert star tip and pink frosting. Pipe a rope border around the handle, wheels and hood. Pipe two dividing lines on hood.
- Replace star tip with flower tip. Pipe three pink flowers in the center of buggy’s bottom section. Set aside remaining pink frosting.
- Cut a hole in remaining bag. Insert the star tip and blue frosting. Pipe a rope border around buggy’s bottom section.
- Replace star tip with flower tip. Pipe three blue flowers among the pink ones on the buggy.
- Replace flower tip with round tip. Pipe two blue spokes on each wheel and add the center on each pink flower.
- With pink frosting, pipe two more spokes and add the blue flower centers.